Tuesday, November 22, 2005

An Apology

(From What's Happening: A New Era)
Today I have removed a provocative picture from my website. If you have seen it, you know the picture I'm talking about. If you haven't seen it, that's good, let's keep it that way. :)

The picture was drawn on my whiteboard on the outside of the door to my room at the Lambda Iota frat house where I had a live-in job. The artist's intent, presumably, was to make a mockery of my faith and perhaps to tempt me, both of which the Owls (which is what Lambda Iota brothers call themselves) often did attempt.

I had a number of reasons for posting this picture here. Some were good reasons, some were sinful ones, but if you saw the picture I want to ask your forgiveness for all of the reasons, because even the best ones do not outweigh the poor taste of posting the picture.

I wanted to portray how lost the frat guys are and what foolishness the gospel of Jesus Christ crucified and risen seems to them. Some readers may think that since I'm a born-again Christian living in a frat house, surely this house must be tamer than the stereotypical frat house. I wanted my readers to understand that it is not.

I wanted to challenge the Pharisee in all of us. The one that would criticise Jesus for spending time with the lost. To show by example that living in a bubble is no way to reach the lost. This is where the picture failed most miserably. It managed to offend, but not just the pharisee in us, but everything good in us as well. It also could easily have caused someone to stumble. Perhaps it did. It was wrong for me to try to offend any part of us. In return for the bad, we got nothing good. There was nothing about the picture or accompanying words that showed any good example.

The reason I stayed in the frat house after the GMS 2003 was over, was that I hoped to facilitate further ministering of the gospel in this house. There were plans to have another GMS in 2004 (which we did) and the University of Vermont Navs group was going to have their weekly meetings in the Founder's Room after being invited to do so by the chairman of the Board of Governers. The thought of bringing the gospel into such a dark place was very exciting. These plans gradually fell through, and it was down to me versus the Owls. GMS 2004 did happen, but relations between The Navigators and the Owls were more tense than in 2003, and GMS 2005 stayed somewhere else for that reason. The idea of using the Founder's Room for weekly Navs nights ended after just 2 or 3 meetings for various reasons. By myself I failed miserably at ministering to these guys. I spent most of my time with them trying to patch up conflicts (especially after forgetting to buy toilet paper!). Feeling that I was doing more harm than good for the gospel was the primary reason that I moved out of the house, though it is also true that I'm now too busy with church ministries and with my job to fulfill my duties there. The hassles involved no longer outweighed the advantages of "free" rent and utilities.

My stay at Lambda Iota did end on a sweet note. As I was moving the last of my things out, it happened to be a "pledging night" for the new recruits. That I was "allowed" to be there at all is pretty remarkable actually. Part of the unwritten deal for me staying there was that I would make myself scarce during pledging because it could spoil the mood and I might get in on their secrets. After a while, they trusted me enough to stay out of the way that they no longer asked me to leave but just asked me to lay low. On this particular night, as I was leaving, they very seriously yet excitedly invited me to join the fraternity. It will be difficult for most readers to understand what a big thing this is, but it was quite amazing, and was initiated by one the guys that I thought would be most happy to be rid of me. Of course I politely declined, but was very touched.

I pray and plead with you and with God to forgive my poor taste in what I posted, and pray and plead with God that perhaps I and other Christians who have been through the house left more of a planted seed for the gospel of Jesus Christ in Lambda Iota than it feels like we did. Thank you.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you very well and know that you have had an impact on these men that you have touched. Rest assured the seed has been planted, just as it was planted in others. It may not flourish as it did in the past, but that is between God and each of the individuals.

I also know that this post was titled "Apology" but you are really beating yourself up over a mistake. God has forgiven you, and if any that saw it and were offended cannot forgive you, God will deal with them.

As someone who has known you for 11 years (wow, can you believe it's been that long??!!) I can assure anyone who reads this that you meant no malicious harm in posting what you did. If you need a character reference, send them my way!!! :)

Laters,
You know who

November 22, 2005  
Blogger AndyOfVermont said...

Thank you, I-know-who! :-)

November 22, 2005  
Blogger AndyOfVermont said...

Thanks so much!

November 28, 2005  

Post a Comment